Winterizing Your Home
Winter is coming! Did you know that as the weather changes, the needs of your house change too? By completing some simple maintenance items, you can get your house ready for the cold months ahead. The best part? These quick tips will save you money all winter long! Keep your Rohit home warm and cozy this winter with these easy to do maintenance items!
- Change your furnace filter – it’ll keep your furnace running in tip-top condition during the months it’s working the hardest.
- Drain hoses and exterior water lines – turn off the water to the hose from the valve inside your house and turn it on outside so all the water can drain out! Drain and roll up any hoses to store them for the winter.
- Turn down your heat – when you leave the house that is! It’s easy to forget, but it can save you money in the long run. Program your thermostat to turn down the temperature a couple degrees when you leave for the day.
- Clean your eavestroughs – clean them out now, and you’ll be thanking yourself later! Snow that melts needs a place to drain. This will prevent ice from building up in your eavestroughs, which can cause ice dams and icicles to form.
- Pack up the Patio Furniture – give ‘em a quick clean and store them in the garage or put a tarp over them to keep them safe from excess moisture and dirt.
- Clean out the garage – we’re all guilty of storing excess “stuff” in the garage! Now’s the perfect time to liquidate some clutter so you can park inside when the cold weather hits.
- Reverse your ceiling fan – they’re not just there to keep you cool in the warm months! Get your fans spinning the opposite direction to encourage hot air from the ceiling to move downwards.
- Let the light in! – when the weather outside is frigid, but the sun is shining, open your blinds and curtains. Let the sun shine in and bask in the free heat! Make sure to close your curtains once the sun goes down to keep the warmth in.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater – Most water heaters are set to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, save yourself 6 to 10% on your bills by turning it down to 120! Your water will still be hot and your wallet will be little bit warmer too.
- Throw on a sweater – sometimes you just can’t beat that winter chill. Throw on your favourite comfy sweater and a pair of fuzzy socks.
You and your house are winter ready… now turn on your fireplace and get cozy!